I have been cheating recently. I’m not proud of myself but I am not hiding it either. I have a new love affair. I have cast aside what would previously have been my first white meat love, chicken– in order to satisfy my tastebuds even further with another white meat love. I was only in love with chicken solely when I was young and naive and had no idea how great this fish was. Such is life. But, you live and learn. LOL Specifically, I just have to share with you that I have developed this huge (I’d like to think it’s healthy) crush on this coconut curry white fish.
My husband describes this coconut curry fish dish as, “outstanding” and “unbelievable” and oh my holy heck it is soo good you just might slap your momma. But, let’s not get arrested for domestic violence now mmm kay? Did you know that is a mandatory arrest? Meaning….the officers don’t have a choice or any subjectivity in the matter if there is evidence to show the crime occurred?? I digress. Wink.
I have made this coconut curry with both cod and swordfish and I think it really goes best with the thicker, more meaty type of steaky (is that even a word?) fish. My blog….my made up words.
I have been trying to keep fish in the freezer along with all that healthy Galloway Grass Fed Beef for those days that I am true to form and fail to plan or defrost meat for dinner….which happens errr often. Luckily, fish defrosts pretty quickly and now that I have discovered my new love for this coconut curry fish, it’s on baby. Totally on. So, if you have a nicely stocked pantry and find yourself in a “what’s for dinner” predicament, this may be your answer to knocking your family’s socks off.
I hope you try it! I hope you like it.
All the best!
- 4 Large Filets of Cod, Swordfish, or other thick white fish, about 1.5-2 lbs. (Cut into 1 inch by 1 inch chunks)
- 1/2 Tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 1/8 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice (Note-I have used bottled lemon juice too-It works)
- 2 Tbsp. Avocado Oil
- 1 Medium white or yellow onion
- 1/2 Medium Green Bell Pepper (Bite Sized Chunks)
- 1/2 Medium Red Bell Pepper (Bite Sized Chunks)
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh minced Ginger. (I freeze mine, peel the rough skin with a potato peeler when needed, and use a microplane to grate into fine pieces.)
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Finely Minced
- 1 Tsp. Ground Pepper
- 2 1/2 Tsp. Kosher Salt
- 2 Tsp. Ground Coriander
- 1/2 Tsp. Turmeric
- 1Tsp. Curry Powder
- 3/4 C. Chicken Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 can (13.5 oz) Light or Whole Coconut Milk
- 1, 5 oz. can of Sliced Bamboo Shoots, drained
- 1 C. Chopped Fresh Cilantro
- Serve over Hot Rice
- Cut up the cod or other thick white fish into 1 inch by 1 inch pieces. Season with the salt, black pepper, cayenne, and lemon juice. Set aside briefly.
- For the sauce, mince the garlic and finely grate the ginger. In a small bowl, add the pepper, salt, coriander, turmeric, and curry powder. Mix. Set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. Avocado Oil (Or Canola) to med/high heat. Add the onion and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the diced bell peppers to the onion and continue to saute on med/high for 3-4 additional minutes.
- Add the dry spices (previously mixed) to the peppers and onions. Stir for 1 minute to incorporate. Add the final 1 Tbsp. of avocado oil to the pan on med/high. Add the ginger and garlic and saute for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Careful not to cook longer or the garlic will burn—never good.
- Add the chicken broth to the cast iron pan allowing all the bits on the bottom of the pan to release from the pan and incorporate into the broth. Add the coconut milk. Bring to a boil for 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add the bamboo shoots. Heat through.
- Add fish to the coconut milk mixture and cook through. About 4-5 minutes. Serve over rice and add cilantro garnish.
Latest posts by Kasey Matthews Johnson (see all)
- Creamy One Pot Lasagna Soup – Big Sky Farmhouse - September 21, 2017
- Coconut Curry White Fish – Big Sky Farmhouse - September 13, 2017
- The Ultimate Moist Zucchini Muffin with Sweet Crumb Topping – Big Sky Farmhouse - August 23, 2017