When life gives you lemons…..make this delectable Sour Cream Lemon Loaf Cake. Oh yeah, it also has this very very tasty lemon simple syrup to make it even more heavenly and then it is topped with this absolutely luscious lemon cream cheese glaze. I love lemon pretty much any time of year but I think it even more appropriate in the Summer don’t you? I am filing this little dreamy cake under “cakes” but I think…it wouldn’t be a problem if one also had it for breakfast with coffee. What? We don’t judge here on this little part of the internet. Haha. We are foodies…hear us roar! No one is going to tell if you enjoy a smidge of this lemon goodness for breakfast with coffee. It can be our little secret. I pinky swear!
So, now that we are tight like that, let’s get down to business. There are three main components here and the are all very easy to make. First, whip up the cake ingredients and get it into the oven.
Careful not to over stir the cake batter. We want it nice and fluffy like.
While the cake is baking, whip up the lemon simple syrup and let it cool slightly. You can also use this time to beat the lemon cream cheese glaze….makes my mouth pucker just thinking about it.
Once the cake comes out of the oven, let it cool for 10 minutes. Then, poke a bunch of holes in the top of the cake with a skewer or chopstick and pour the lemon simple syrup all over the top. Let that baby rest for about 20 minutes while you read a book.
Next, take the cake out of the pan. Use a butter knife to glide along the sides to make sure it’s loosened enough to come out easily. It should pop right out into your hand. Take the parchment paper off the bottom and then place the cake on top of a cookie rack to drizzle the creamy lemon cream cheese glaze over the top. Perfection!
- 1 1/2 C. All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1 C. Sour Cream
- 1 C. Granulated Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs, Room Temp. and Beaten(Placing in luke warm water for 10 mins. helps speed up this process)
- 2 Tsp. Pure Lemon Extract
- 1 Tbsp, Lemon Zest (Approximately 2 Lemons)
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 C. Vegetable Oil
- 1/3 C. Sugar
- 1/4 C. Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice (1 1/2 to 2 Lemons)
- 2 Oz. Room Temp Cream Cheese
- 1 C. Confectioners Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp. Lemon Extract
- In a small bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside briefly. In a separate larger bowl, whisk the rest of the ingredients to include the sour cream, sugar, beaten eggs, lemon extract, zest, vanilla extract, and oil.
- Pour the dry ingredients you sifted earlier into the bowl with the liquid ingredients. Using a spatula, fold the flour into the liquid batter. Fold just enough to incorporate the flour and be careful to not over stir. Pour the batter into the greased 8 by 4 pan. Place in the oven for 49-52 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- While the cake is baking, heat the sugar and lemon juice in a small heavy bottomed sauce pan on med/ low to low until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.
- While the cake is baking, add the softened room temp. cream cheese to a bowl. Mix with beaters on med to med/high. Add the sugar, lemon juice and lemon extract. Beat on low until incorporated.
- Once the cake has cooled approximately 10 minutes. Poke holes in it (all over the top) using a wooden skewer, or chopstick. Pour the lemon simple syrup over the top of the cake. Let the cake cool for another 20 minutes. Remove cake from the pan using a butter knife to skim the sides to release the cake completely. It should come out very easily. Turn it over and remove the parchment paper from the bottom. Place the cake on a wire rack and pour the cream cheese lemon glaze over the top. Serve and enjoy!
Latest posts by Kasey Matthews Johnson (see all)
- The Best Homemade Hamburger Buns-Big Sky Farmhouse - July 25, 2017
- Baked Satay Chicken-Big Sky Farmhouse - July 19, 2017
- Lessons in Country Living, Part 5 in Series-Big Sky Farmhouse - July 11, 2017