Sunday, the day before our family Galloway Cattle round up and move, we all got together to celebrate a family birthday. As is common for family events, everyone brought a dish. I was elected to bring a salad so I put together this one! It is very simple and was really enjoyable. Normally, I don’t get too excited about a salad because well, it’s salad. Where’s the real food? But, this was truly wonderful, surprisingly so….for salad!
Here you go! Now you have it too! Maybe you can use it on your next cattle drive or family birthday party!
- 1 Large Head of Romaine (Or three romaine hearts) Washed and ripped into bite sized pieces
- 3 Ripe Pears, cored and cut into bite sized pieces (No need to peel)
- 1 8 oz. container of Feta Cheese
- 1 Avocado-Sliced in half, pitted, and diced into bite sized pieces
- 4 Green Onions, Sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 C. Pecans, Roughly Chopped
- 1/4 C. White Sugar
- 2/3 C. Olive Oil
- 6 Tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
- 4 Tsp. White Sugar
- 3 Tsp. Dijon Mustard
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1/4 Tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- Make the salad dressing. It can be made a day ahead of time. Just set it out of the fridge about a half hour before serving.
- Wash and dry the lettuce.
- To candy the pecans, heat a cast iron pan to medium and add the rough chopped pecans. Add the sugar and stir continuously. You will begin to see the sugar melting on the nuts. Watch carefully as nuts burn pretty quickly because of their oils. All of the sugar may not completely melt and that's ok. The process takes between 4-6 minutes depending on how hot your pan is. Remove from heat immediately when the nuts begin to brown at all. Remove nuts from pan into a bowl or on a piece of wax paper to cool.
- Tear the lettuce into bite sized pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Add your other ingredients in whatever creative fashion you wish and toss, or you can leave the other ingredients sitting on top decoratively.
- Add salad dressing and enjoy!