We love shrimp in this house! Not just any ol’ shrimp, but really good flavorful shrimp. Like these! Kapow Kung Pao Shrimp rock the house whenever we have them and they are super duper easy to make! And, the kicker with these shrimp is that we FEEL really great eating as many veggies as we can cram into the recipe!
They require just a little marinading if you have the time, but even if you don’t, they will still be a hit. I confess that I usually only make these awesome shrimp feasts when I have not taken anything out of the freezer ahead of time because the ol’ planning skills still aren’t honed and I can defrost shrimp in a chilled bowl of water pretty quickly. Besides, most of the time, I am all about something quick because there’s lots to be done and outside time to be had on these warmer days in mountain country.
Anyway, don’t fret if you don’t have time to marinate these little crustacean delights. Sometimes, sauce is key when there is little marinading time so no worries there.
Just gather your ingredients, ready your shrimp by removing the tails and deveining, chop up some fresh veggies..and wham! Cook it all up. Easy peasy! Increase or decrease the heat with your crushed red pepper and there you have it. So simple.
I hope you enjoy!
All the best!
- This requires marinading for 1-24 hours. The longer the marinade time, the more flavorful the shrimp.
- 1 lb (Approx. 45 Medium Sized Raw Shrimp, peeled and deveined)
- Coconut Oil Non Stick Spray (Optional 2 Tsp. of Olive Oil in lieu of coconut oil spray)
- 1 Tbsp. Cornstarch
- 1/4 C. Water
- 2 Tbsp. Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Mirin
- 2 Tbsp. . Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Hoisin
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Chili Paste
- 1/2 Tsp. Sesame Oil
- 1/8 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/8-1/4 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes (For Mild Heat add 1/8 Tsp, For Medium add 1/4 Tsp.)
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Fresh Grated Ginger, Divided (1 Tsp. for Marinade and 1/2 Tsp. for Veggie Saute)
- 6 Garlic Cloves, Minced and Divided (4 Cloves for Marinade and 2 for the Veggie Saute)
- 1 Medium Sized Zucchini, Cut Into Bite Sized Pieces
- 1 Red Pepper, Seeded and Cut Into Bite Sized Pieces
- 1/2 Med. Onion, Cut into Bite Sized Pieces
- Previously Reserved 1/2 Tsp. Grated Fresh Ginger
- Previously Reserved 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 3 Green Onions, Sliced thin
- 1 Tbsp. Chopped Roasted Peanuts (I just put them in the cast iron pan on med heat for 4 minutes or so until they begin to brown. Remove them from the pan when they start to brown or they will continue to cook and may burn.)
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a large measuring cup or bowl. Stir. Add the peeled and deveined shrimp to a large Zip Loc bag. Add the marinade to the Zip Loc bag with the shrimp. Seal and refrigerate for 1-24 hours.
- When ready to cook, drain the marinade from the Zip Loc Bag into a small/med. heavy bottomed sauce pan. Add the 1 Tbsp. of cornstarch to the drained marinade and whisk to incorporate the cornstarch.
- Heat the marinade in the sauce pan over med/high until the mixture comes to a boil, whisking continuously. Allow the marinade to boil for 2 minutes while whisking. Turn heat off and set aside briefly.
- Heat a large cast iron pan on med/high. Spray the pan with coconut oil OR add a Tsp. of olive oil. Heat to med/high. Add the onion. Saute for 1-2 minutes. Add the red pepper and the zucchini and saute for 3-4 minutes on med/high heat. Add the previously reserved fresh ginger and minced garlic to the veggies. Saute for 30 seconds. Remove all veggies from the heat to a medium bowl.
- To the same pan, spray another burst of coconut oil OR add 1 Tsp. of olive oil. Add the shrimp and cook until done, stirring occasionally. 2-3 Minutes. Reheat the previously made sauce/thickened marinade just until hot. Add the veggies back to the same pan as the shrimp. Add the thickened marinade/sauce to the shrimp and veggies and stir the entire mixture together. Serve immediately. Garnish with sliced green onions, roasted chopped peanuts, and/or crushed red pepper flakes. Can serve alone or over rice or quinoa.
Weight Watchers Point Value Shrimp-Total 4 Marinade-Total 9.5 (This can be 8.5 if you use a 0 point soy sauce. Mine was Trader Joes at 1 pt.) Veggies- 0 Chopped Peanuts- Total 2
4 Servings- Total-3.875 points per serving. I always round up to be safe. 4 pts. per serving.