We have officially started Spring today and I am so excited! Barbecues, flowers, greenery sprouting everywhere, baby calves born every day, and baby chicks in the barn soon. Spring comes on a bit slower here as there are often days that tease us before it’s reallllly Spring and I may even see a really crazy bipolarish flurry of snow before this month is over.. I just never know. But, the good news is I am seeing water flowing from the mountain lakes down into the large river here and the river’s girth has grown exponentially. I’m guessing the width of the river to be about 250 yards right now…gushing with water and hopefully flowing with fish too. This kind of weather makes me turn the barbecue on and start formulating everything we are going to grill to start eating a bit lighter as it gets warmer..with less comfort food. I’m not gonna get too crazy or anything because this girl still loves herself some comfort food with spaghetti and chicken pot pie at the top of that list, but currently, grilled chicken is on the agenda and we will be having a lot of it this Summer.
This recipe for chipotle chicken sandwiches is so flavorful, I could eat it several times a week and be happy happy. The marinade, a simple mixture, doesn’t require a long time to flavor the chicken which is usually the case when marinating chicken.
For this dinner, I assembled the marinade around noon and stuck the marinading chicken in the fridge for the afternoon. My husband who is usually leary of chicken because it can be difficult to get the flavors infused, stated at dinner, “this sandwich is easily in my top 5 chicken sandwiches in my lifetime!” “This is a homerun!” Some chicken sandwiches are normally breaded and full of extra unnecessary calories but this chipotle chicken sandwich screams “I am healthy, I am full of flavor, I am so good you will want more!”
The chipotle chicken has such a flavorful pop of smokey-sweet flavors that it doesn’t even need to be on a sandwich to be utterly enjoyable. In fact, next time I do make this chicken, I am going to marinade and shred extra chicken breasts to use in salads and perhaps chicken tacos too. (I like to freeze shredded cooked chicken that is full of flavor for those lunches or dinners when I’m just not feelin’ the kitchen…know what I mean?) It is really that good. The creamy citrus sauce is also a wonderful accent to this chicken. I wouldn’t skip that part. And, the bonus with it is that the citrus sauce can double as a salad dressing if you have extra after your meal. I am big on getting the most eats for your efforts and both this chipotle chicken and citrus sauce cause my mind to wander with all the possibilities for other meals using them. Endless! I guess the key here is you have to like chipotle adobo flavor. Good thing for this girl the my whole family does! I hope you can enjoy this too!
All the best!
- 2 Chicken Breasts-Sliced lengthwise across the chicken breast to make two thinly cut breast slices out of one thick single breast.
- 1/4 cup, Packed Brown Sugar
- 2 Tsp. Water
- 3 Tbsp, finely chopped Cilantro Leaves
- 1 Chipotle pepper minced. ( I save the entire can of chipotle peppers in adobo in a ziplock in the freezer for future use.)
- 1 Tsp. of Adobo Sauce (Comes in the same can as the chipotle pepper and I freeze it with the peppers for later use, since you use so little in each recipe.)
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Chili Powder
- 1/4 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Tsp. Finely Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2- 3/4 C. Sour Cream (Light if you want to save calories) (You can substitute plain yogurt as well)
- 1/2 C. Mayo (Light, or you can also use Plain Yogurt.)
- 3 Tbsp of Chopped Cilantro Leaves
- 1/4 C. Lime Juice-From 2-3 Limes
- 1/8 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 Thin slices of Jalapeño. (At the thickest part of the pepper, make two 1/8 inch slices and include the seeds. Mince Finely)
- 3 Small Green Onions, Finely Sliced
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1/8 Tsp. Finely Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp. Coconut Oil-For Pan Searing (Note-
- 4 Hamburger Buns for Serving (This recipe works really well for buns.)
- 2 Tsp. Butter, 1/2 Tsp. spread on each bun
- 4 Slices of Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack or Colby Jack Cheese
- 4 Slices of Romaine Lettuce
- Garnish Optional-1/2 Avocado slices sprinkled with salt and pepper and doused with a squeeze of lime.
- Garnish Optional-Purple onion slices, raw.
- Slice 2 single breasts into 4 thin breasts. (Slice down the center of the chicken breast lengthwise to make two flat slices of chicken breast about the same size each.) Set Aside.
- Mix the packed brown sugar, water, cilantro leaves, minced chipotle pepper with adobo sauce, salt, chili powder, garlic powder, and ground black pepper in a small bowl. Mix well with a fork, making sure to break up the brown sugar and disperse all ingredients equally.
- Place all four slices of thin breast slices into a large ziplock bag. Pour the previously prepared spices into the bag with the chicken breasts. Secure the ziplock bag. Massage the spices into the chicken breasts and store in fridge for 45 minutes to 24 hours.
- After the chicken is marinating nicely, combine all the ingredients for the creamy topping sauce for your sandwiches. Stir together. Cover. Refrigerate.
- To prepare chicken-
- Rub Coconut Oil (or Canola) across the griddle or barbecue grate using a paper towel or kitchen brush before heating to med/high heat. Heat a cast iron griddle or barbecue surface outside (Note- the cast iron or barbecue grate needs to be hot in order to make those scrumptious looking char marks across the chicken breasts.)
- Place all four chicken breasts on cast iron griddle or hot barbecue grate. Place a large pan lid over the top of the chicken to help ensure the chicken breast cooks through.) Turn chicken breasts after 2-3 minutes and cook through on the other side for 2-3 minutes. Place a thin slice of cheese over the chicken towards the end of the cook time and allow it to melt nicely over the chicken breast.
- Lightly coat the inside of the hamburger buns with butter. Heat hamburger buns on a separate cast iron flat pan or along side the chicken on the barbecue as your chicken breasts are finishing.
- To serve, add one slice of thin chicken breast to a hamburger bun. Top with purple onion, lettuce, avocado slices and creamy sauce.
Latest posts by Kasey Matthews Johnson (see all)
- The Best Homemade Hamburger Buns-Big Sky Farmhouse - July 25, 2017
- Baked Satay Chicken-Big Sky Farmhouse - July 19, 2017
- Lessons in Country Living, Part 5 in Series-Big Sky Farmhouse - July 11, 2017