There is this place in Plano Texas. A place that is a must stop/must eat when I visit my best friend Trina and her amazing family in Texas. It’s simple menu and simple/rustic vintage feel along with the absolutely phenomenal taco menu draws crowds of hungry taco eaters every day. The list of tacos is only about 10 deep but each one is special with attention to detail. The owner, is almost always present and it is a fun-relaxed place to have a meal.
My favorite taco there at the Rusty Taco is the Fried Chicken Taco. And, since flying down to Texas doesn’t occur every month or even every other month as I’d like it to…I have been fortunate enough to visit the place 5-6 times in the past 3 years (shhhh, but sometimes we go to Rusty Taco on two occasions while I’m visiting!)
So, when I return to Montana after a much needed Trina visit-Vacay, I really miss these darn tacos…..not as much as I miss Trina, but hey, I can cook…I don’t clone yet…. The flavors..the texture…I salivate thinking of them. They are really that delish.
So, this version (my home made version) of the Rusty Taco Fried Chicken Taco is my ode to the special place next to the Post Office down South. In a sea of brick houses and meticulously manicured landscapes, this place is a MUST visit for me every time I get to visit my friends/family in Texas!
And, one final note….if you think you might just forego the slaw and leave it off…please don’t. You will be doing yourself and your tastebuds an absolute dis-service. In fact, I cannot imagine these tacos without the slaw which adds a snap and slight heat that cannot be beat. I have used the slaw on shrimp tacos as well and it is so complimentary there too that I might add it to this blog in the future. For now. This. Fried Chicken Tacos rule. I truly hope you enjoy them!
- 2 Chicken Breasts- Sliced into strips
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Corn Starch
- 1/2 Packet of Original Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
- 3 Eggs, whisked
- 2 Tbsp. Oil
- Corn Tortillas, Cooked
- Garnish Optional-Lime
- 1/2 Small Green Cabbage, Thinly Sliced
- 1/2 Small Purple Cabbage, Thinly Sliced
- 1 Small Purple Onion, Thinly Sliced
- 1/2 C. Mayonaisse
- 1/2 C. Milk
- 1 Tsp. Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 1/8 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tsp. Lime Juice
- 1/4-1/2 Jalapeno, Minced (Note-Add Jalapeño sparingly and taste first. Add more to your taste as needed.)
- Slice chicken breast into strips. Season all chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Add chicken to a large Zip Loc bag along with the half a packet of the ranch dressing and the cornstarch. Shake the chicken in the bag to disperse the seasoning and the cornstarch evenly. Set aside or refrigerate depending on how long it will be before you cook the chicken.
- To assemble the slaw, combine the cabbages and onion in a large bowl. Toss together. In a smaller bowl, combine all the rest of the ingredients and stir together. Pour the mixture over the cabbage and onion mixture in the larger bowl and toss all together. Refrigerate. This can be made much earlier than the chicken but keep in mind the spiciness of the mix with jalapeño can intensify over time.
- Place the whisked eggs into a pie dish. Heat oil in a cast iron pan to med/high. Dredge the chicken pieces in the egg and place in the hot oil using caution because the oil, if too hot, can splatter. Cook chicken 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from oil and drain on a plate with a paper towel.
- Serve the fried chicken pieces over a cooked corn tortilla. Top with slaw and a lime wedge. Serve immediately.
Latest posts by Kasey Matthews Johnson (see all)
- Creamy One Pot Lasagna Soup – Big Sky Farmhouse - September 21, 2017
- Coconut Curry White Fish – Big Sky Farmhouse - September 13, 2017
- The Ultimate Moist Zucchini Muffin with Sweet Crumb Topping – Big Sky Farmhouse - August 23, 2017