I made these sweet and spicy shrimp skewers the other night and I think I am in love. My husband almost did a dance around the table he loved them so much. And, that’s saying a lot because I’ve covered this before…he’s very honest in a nice way about food. His tastebuds are so particular he could be the food version of a sommelier. A food critic? Hmm. Not sure at this point what the heck that would be called. Just because you’re a food critic, doesn’t equate to expert food taster and flavor decipherer. (Is that even a word?)
Now, I made this creamy citrus salad dressing/dipping sauce to accompany the shrimp because I have always believed that if you serve any protein on a stick it should be dipped in something. My husband isn’t a believer in this theory so he ate all of his allotment of shrimp skewers without the sauce. The marinade for this shrimp is so flavorful you really can do just that and be perfectly happy. I, however am, and will always be a dipper. The dressing/dipping sauce would also be perfectly wonderful on a salad too. I haven’t tried it yet, but I I have a gut feeling that this marinade would also be fabulous with chicken for chicken skewers or a chopped chicken salad…..with the dressing.
- 1/2 lb Raw Shrimp, Tails Removed
- Wood Skewers-Optional
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp. Thai Chili Garlic Sauce
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1/8 Tsp. Salt
- 1/8 Tsp. Pepper
- Optional-Veggies of your choice can also be marinated with shrimp or just salt and peppered to accompany the shrimp on the skewer.
- 1/2- 3/4 C. Sour Cream (Light if you want to save calories)
- 1/2 C. Mayo (Light, or you can also use Plain Yogurt.)
- 3 Tbsp of Chopped Cilantro Leaves
- 1/4 C. Lime Juice-From 2-3 Limes
- 1/8 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 Thin slices of Jalapeño. (At the thickest part of the pepper, make two 1/8 inch slices and include the seeds. Mince Finely)
- 3 Small Green Onions, Finely Sliced
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1/8 Tsp. Finely Ground Black Pepper
- Using thawed or fresh shrimp, remove tails. Mix all the rest of the ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring well. Add raw shrimp to the marinade. Marinade for at least 30 minutes. If using wood skewers, soak in water while shrimp marinate.
- You can assemble the creamy citrus dipping sauce/dressing ahead of time and refrigerate up to a day in advance, or you can use the shrimp marinating time to assemble this sauce. Just combine all the ingredients, stir together and chill until ready to serve.
- Place shrimp (and optional veggies) on skewers. Grill shrimp on a bbq or hot cast iron pan for 2-3 minutes on each side. Serve with or without the sauce as desired.
Latest posts by Kasey Matthews Johnson (see all)
- Creamy One Pot Lasagna Soup – Big Sky Farmhouse - September 21, 2017
- Coconut Curry White Fish – Big Sky Farmhouse - September 13, 2017
- The Ultimate Moist Zucchini Muffin with Sweet Crumb Topping – Big Sky Farmhouse - August 23, 2017