This creamy lemon pie is one of my Airman son’s favorites. I recently made it for him when he was here to visit and it did not disappoint. It is really that good and oh so creamy and lemony. I am working on putting together a pie dough post soon to accompany the pies I plan to post, but this creamy lemon pie can also be made with store-bought crust. I prefer this pie chilled and served very cold with a big glass of milk or a cup of coffee. I hope you enjoy it too!
This recipe was adapted from Magnolia Bakery.
- 1 9 inch. Partially Pre-Cooked Pie Crust, Store Bought or a recipe of your choice. (My recipe is forthcoming)
- 2, 14 oz. Cans of Sweetened Condensed Milk (Reserve 3 Tbsps. for the Cream Topping)
- 3 Large Egg Yolks
- 3/4 C. Plus 2 Tbsps of Fresh Lemon Juice 5-6 Large (heavy for their size) Lemons
- Optional- 1/4 Tsp. Lemon Extract
- Cream for Top
- 1 C. Heavy Whipping Cream
- The Reserved 3 Tbsps of Sweetened Condensed Milk From The Above Can
- 1/2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Optional-Lemon Zest Strips Tossed in Sugar for Garnish on top of Cream
- Partially cook your pie crust. I cook my pie dough recipe for 12 minutes at 425 with pie weights. Store bought may require different times according to package. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 375. In a medium bowl, combine both cans of sweetened condensed milk (reserving 3 Tbsps of one can for the cream topping.) Add the egg yolks to the milk and whisk together until creamy. Slowly add the lemon juice to the mixture, whisking to incorporate as you go. Optional-I like very lemony pie so at this point you can also add lemon extract and whisk into the batter, or not. I've also tried adding a couple drops of pure therapeutic grade lemon oil and it worked well but if you don't have any don't worry about it.
- Using a rubber spatula, pour the batter into the partially baked, cooled pie crust and scrape the sides of the bowl to ensure all the pie batter is utilized. Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for 15-17 minutes, or until the center is not jiggly. Remove pie from oven and allow to cool. Chill in refrigerator after cooled slightly.
- For the creamy top, add the whipping cream, reserved 3 Tbsps of sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla extract to a cool metal or glass bowl. Whip on high for 3-5 minutes until the cream thickens enough to spread on the pie or pipe it on the pie, whichever you prefer.
- This pie can be made a day of head of time, but whip and apply the creamed topping just before serving to preserve the consistency of the pie and cream top. Optional-Sprinkle the top with lemon zest tossed in sugar.
Latest posts by Kasey Matthews Johnson (see all)
- Creamy One Pot Lasagna Soup – Big Sky Farmhouse - September 21, 2017
- Coconut Curry White Fish – Big Sky Farmhouse - September 13, 2017
- The Ultimate Moist Zucchini Muffin with Sweet Crumb Topping – Big Sky Farmhouse - August 23, 2017