Living in the Southwestern part of the country for 40 years, I ate plenty of mexican food. I love it. I miss it. I could almost bathe in salsa-that’s how much I love it. There is one restaurant about 40 minutes from me now and my husband thinks it has the best salsa ever. No way. I am a salsa pro. Back in Las Vegas, my favorite salsa in the whole wide world was made at a restaurant called Dona Marias. I have yet to duplicate it in my own kitchen. Sigh…… Most people think that it’s as simple as chopping some tomatoes, adding some onion, jalapeño and lime and calling it good. Not so. There is an art to mexican food and after living in the Northwestern part of the country now for a few years, I’d say the Southwest has no competition in this category. Stunning scenery and nature. Yes. Manly men. Yes. Mexican food…seriously lacking.
There was another restaurant there that I can’t even believe I’m admitting I miss because I hardly ever went there when it was around the corner. It is an unassuming little fast food restaurant called El Pollo Loco (The Crazy Chicken) that flame grills their citrus marinated phenomenal chicken. Along with the chicken is this wonderfully tasting, simple avocado salsa.
Lucky for me, my sister in law Teri has about 1000 cookbooks on her shelves! Yes really. A thousand. God bless her. She happened to have a copycat recipe for this El Pollo Loco Avocado Salsa that is so spot on it just makes me smile thinking about it. I made a copy of the recipe and have adapted it, directions wise, to my own kitchen. I think? the book was called Top Secret Recipes.
I am terrible at meal planning. Really. I know it. I live it. I own it. Now that I am retired you would think I have tons of time to do this and do that. Not so. I am busier now in other ways than I ever was when i worked 50 hours a week while mothering single style. Anyway, enough whining. Because I’m a hot mess when it comes to this meal planning thing I happened to have two beautiful “eat me now or you’ll be sorry” avocados sitting on my kitchen island along with a couple withering bell peppers. So, use it or loose it, I am making Zesty Citrus Chicken Fajitas with Avocado Salsa for dinner. Yummy.
- 1 Medium Sized Ripe Avocado.
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper, Stemmed and Quartered (Use caution here. We grow our own jalapeños and they, for whatever reason, pack a serious hot punch. I slice them and freeze them and pull out a few slivers when I need em. For this recipe I only used 4 slices with seeds still frozen in them.)
- 1 C. Water
- 1 Tbsp. White Vinegar
- 3/4 Tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- 2 Tbsp. Diced Onion
- Add all ingredients EXCEPT the avocado to a blender. I use a NutriBullet blender but any blender should work. Pulse the blender a couple times. 1-2 seconds each pulse is all you need. Add the whole avocado. Pulse for 2-3 seconds. Done. The salsa should resemble a creamy soup. I add fresh cilantro as a garnish.
Latest posts by Kasey Matthews Johnson (see all)
- Creamy One Pot Lasagna Soup – Big Sky Farmhouse - September 21, 2017
- Coconut Curry White Fish – Big Sky Farmhouse - September 13, 2017
- The Ultimate Moist Zucchini Muffin with Sweet Crumb Topping – Big Sky Farmhouse - August 23, 2017